THE SITE OF THE MAXFIELD PARRISH HOME
A fall view of the lower terrace at The Oaks with Mt. Ascutney in the distance
About the Oaks....
"The Oaks" has been a privately owned estate since 1985. In the summer of 2010, a portion of the grounds will once again be open. To share some of the beauty of the terrace at the main house, we will try to publish photos from time to time and change them seasonally. These are some traditional photographs of the spring and summer season and include the famous Lydia Parrish hundred year-old spirea bushes.
Maxfield Parrish (1870-1966) was born in Philadelphia, studied at Haverford College and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, and worked as an illustrator in Philadelphia until 1898, when he settled in Plainfield, New Hampshire. He lived and painted at his beloved estate there from that time on, and all of his famous works were created in the studio building located in the rear of the main house. This studio building is not open to the public, and is not a part of the museum.
Parrish painted until
he was ninety-one. He died at his home, "The Oaks," in Plainfield, in
1966, having lived to see a strong revival of interest in his work.
Parrish pictures are in the permanent collections of the Metropolitan
Museum of Art, the Detroit Art Institute, and the M. H. De Young Museum
in San Francisco, among others.
Award winning gardens
Flowers on the lower terrace at The Oaks
Various native perennials bloom in the fall season throughout the gardens.